Cilantro and Coconut Milk Green Curry with Grilled Shrimp and Jasmine Rice
By Jim Gallagher, chef de cuisine
Summer/ Winter, Burlington, MA
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1½ Tablespoons green curry paste
(available at Asian markets)
1½ teaspoons minced ginger
1 Tablespoon minced shallots
1½ stalks lemon grass
2 Kaffir lime leaves
¼ cup packed mint
¼ cup packed basil
¼ cup packed cilantro
1 cup chicken stock
42 ounces of canned coconut milk
2 cups heavy cream
5 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
2½ teaspoons fish sauce
2 Tablespoons sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper as needed
8 cups cooked jasmine rice
5 large shrimp per person
Sprigs of mint, cilantro and basil
1. In a heavy-bottomed pot, add 1½ tablespoons canola oil and curry paste. Turn heat to medium-low. Sauté until fragrant.
2. In a food processor, add ginger, shallots, lemon grass, Kaffir lime leaves and process until everything is finely chopped. Stop every 30 seconds to scrape down sides of container, until ingredients are consistent and nearly paste-like.
3. Add the mixture to the curry paste and cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes until you are able to smell the aroma coming up out of the pot.
4. Place the mint, basil and cilantro in the food processor and process until chopped. Add to pot and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken stock, coconut milk and heavy cream. Stir well and turn temperature up to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Slow simmer for 5 minutes, then turn heat off.
6. Add the lime juice, fish sauce, salt, pepper and rest for one hour at room temperature and then refrigerate.
7. It is best made a day ahead for all the flavors to come out.
8. Thread five shrimp onto bamboo skewers and cook over a medium grill.
9. Ladle curry over jasmine rice. Place the shrimp skewers on top and sprinkle the garnish over top of the bowl.